Does Dry Skin Brushing Really Help Get Rid Of Cellulite?
Of all the different ways and products out there designed to get rid of cellulite, dry skin brushing is probably the least talked about.
We’re not exactly sure why that is, but we’re here to tell you that this simple practice can make a big difference when it comes to improving your skin tone and minimizing the look of cellulite.
So now I’m sure you’re wondering what exactly dry skin brushing is and how it can help get rid of cellulite?
Let’s go ahead and answer those right now…
Skin brushing involves simply using a brush with semi-rigid bristles to gently “sweep over” your dry skin a few times.
You can brush your skin from your feet all the way up to the bottom of our neck.
So what exactly does this accomplish (especially in relation to cellulite)?
There are three main benefits to skin brushing as it specifically relates to getting rid of cellulite.
Let’s tackle them one at a time…
The Benefits of Dry Skin Brushing
First of all, skin brushing is a great way to exfoliate your skin.
For those of you who don’t know what exfoliation is, exfoliation stimulates your skin to produce newer, fresher skin cells while removing older, deader cells.
This makes your skin look much better, is healthier and makes applying lotions and creams much more effective.
In fact, exfoliation is so important for skin, LA dermatologist Dr, Howard Murad had this to say:
“Dry skin brushing is one of the most effective exfoliating treatments for skin with cellulite.”
That’s a pretty strong endorsement!
The second main benefit of dry skin brushing is its effect on increasing circulation and blood flow.
As you’ve probably learned by now on this site, poor circulation is one of the root causes of cellulite formation.
And regular exfoliation is one of the best things you can do to stimulate your blood vessel and get your blood moving.
The third major benefit has to do with stimulating your lymphatic system.
That’s important because your lymphatic system is what helps remove waste and toxins that build up in your body.
Removing waste and toxins helps your cells function better and get the nutrients they need. Two very important things if you’re going to reduce your cellulite.
One last benefit that may not be as obvious as the first three is dry skin brushing will allow for better absorption of any cellulite cream you use.
By removing dead skin cells, lotions and creams are better able to reach the part of the skin that’s required to see results.
That’s why we always recommend exfoliation, which includes skin brushing, prior to putting on any cellulite cream.
How To Do Dry Skin Brushing To Help Get Rid Of Cellulite
To get all the benefits that dry skin brushing provides, here’s a quick rundown of the steps involved and how to do it right.
1. Buy a brush specifically designed for this purpose. It should have a long handle, so you can reach your back and have bristles made of a natural material such as goat hair, boar hair or vegetable derived. Try to avoid synthetic bristles if possible. You also want the bristles to be stiff but not overly so.
2. You’ll want to dry skin brush every day, before bathing. Once your skin gets used to it, and if it’s not causing irritation, you can up this to twice a day. As for how long each “session: should last, we’d say anywhere from 5-10 minutes. This should be a quick process, not a long ordeal.
3. When brushing, start with the bottom of your feet and work your way up to your neck. I’d avoid the genitals, face and any other sensitive areas.
4. Always brush towards the heart, to help with circulation. Use a long, sweeping motion
5. Try to use firm but not overly aggressive pressure as you brush. No scrubbing or circular motions. This is a gentle process, you’re not trying to pummel the cellulite into submission.
6. After you’ve finished your dry skin brushing, and have taken your shower or bath, apply a good, moisturizing cellulite cream that’s loaded with healthy nutrients. We can’t stress enough that this is the perfect time to apply these products! If you’re still looking for a great product, be sure to check out our list of the 10 best cellulite creams!
Ok that sums up dry skin brushing and how it can help you get rid of cellulite.
As you’ve probably noticed by now, skin brushing has a lot of benefits that even go beyond cellulite removal.
It’s quick, inexpensive and easy. It helps you feel energized and refreshed. And it makes cellulite creams and lotions absorb better.
What more could you ask for?